University of Winchester
175th Anniversary Studentships for Home/EU students
Department of English, Creative Writing and American Studies
Applications are invited from suitably qualified individuals wishing to undertake doctoral research within Faculty of Arts at the University of Winchester.
We offer specialist supervision in the following areas:
- Victorian literature and culture
- Eighteenth and twentieth century literature
- American literature 1890-1945, especially in relation to politics and class
- Crime fiction
- Creative writing and critical practice
- Writing for children
- Post-war American media
- Sexuality, gender identity, race/ethnicity and class
- Domestic space and representations of the domestic
- Contemporary literary theory
- Material and visual culture
- Theodore Dreiser
Deadline for Applications is Friday 13 March 2015
- Interviews are to be held in May
- Awards commence on 1 September 2015
- Students should apply to the University of Winchester using Application Forms A and B. Form A includes a substantial project proposal in written form. Form B is an Ethics Release Form
The studentship is tenable for up to 3 years full-time from 1 September 2015. Renewal of the studentship each year is subject to satisfactory academic progress. Applicants must hold a good first degree in a relevant arts or social science subject and a Masters degree (or equivalent professional experience) demonstrating successful completion of appropriate initial research training.
Awards cover full time academic fees for UK/EU students and a maintenance grant of £13,863 and £200pa of research expenses.
Qualifications for entry
Applicants are expected to have:
- A Masters degree from a UK university, or equivalent
- Two written reports from academic referees
For more information please contact PGRAdmin@winchester.ac.uk with ‘175th Anniversary Studentships’ in the subject line.
Students who hold Masters level qualifications from outside the UK must send copies of their diplomas, copies of their transcripts (with a certified translation into English of their transcript if it is not in English) to the RKE Centre.
Students currently enrolled in a Masters qualification who expect to graduate before 31 July 2015 may apply, but must submit with their application portfolio a separate recommendation letter from their current University (if not Winchester) that predicts the standing of their expected qualification. This is in addition to two references.