In Spring 2022, the British Association of American Studies will be hosting a series of Work In Progress Sessions within which Early Career Academics (ECAs) share their work. This will take on the format of 5-5-5 WIP Sessions:
- 5 ECAs will be selected and invited into a workshop group.
- Each ECA will write 5,000 words and share it with the other ECAs.
- The other ECAs will provide 5 key pieces of feedback on this piece.
The exact format of these workshops will be decided with the selected ECAs, but are likely to take the form of a one hour discussion once a week for 5 weeks. These workshops are intended to be collaborative, rather than prescriptive.
Whilst there is no specific theme to these works beyond this organisation’s focus on American Studies, an effort will be made to group ECAs according to discipline. We recognise that a broad range of topics may be presented, reflecting the diversity of our field. We would welcome a broad range of writings – from sections of articles to conference papers to project proposals.
These workshops arise out of recognition of the precarity of ECAs, and the need to cultivate robust and supportive networks. Alongside other initiatives forthcoming in Spring 2022, these workshops will encourage the dissemination of, and engagement with, ECA work.
In order to apply please send the following information to Dr Emily Brady at email@example.com :
- A 200 word abstract of the individual paper
- A 250 word biography
Whilst exact dates will be established with selected students, the following dates should be noted:
- CfP Deadline: Friday 4th February 2022. Successful applicants will be notified in mid-February.
- Workshops will commence in late March / early April run for 5 weeks. Exact times and start dates will be arranged with selected participants. It is anticipated that each workshop will run for one hour at the same time each week at a time to suit the ECAs.