- This event has passed.
Job: Curator: Americas, British Museum
August 10, 2015 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Americas Section within the Department of Africa, Oceania and the Americas and work in a dynamic and world-renowned setting. The British Museum is seeking a Curator: Americas with a specialisation in at least one sub region of North America. They will be responsible for the curation, development, research and presentation of the American collections.
Key areas of responsibility:
- To curate the Americas collections, improving catalogue and documentation for artefact and pictorial collections.
- To manage the North America Gallery.
- Maintain existing and develop new relationships and collaborations with source communities.
- Attract research funding and produce research output of international significance.
- To curate exhibitions relating to the Americas collections.
- To manage and support visits of source community members to the collection, and other research visits.
- To support loans, exhibitions, galleries and refreshment projects.
- Answer research and other enquiries, and assist with visitors, public programmes and acquisitions.
The successful candidate will have a degree or equivalent in anthropology/archaeology or a related subject; specialising in a region of North America. You will have extensive field experience in the Americas, in relation to Native North American communities and academic publications in anthropology or related subject. You will have worked with or must be able to demonstrate knowledge of indigenous Americas collections and museum curatorial experience. You will also have experience of project management and supervising a curatorial team. You will have an active research profile that includes publications of national/international significance and a track record of attracting research funding.
About the British Museum:
Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history and culture. With over 6.5 million visitors in 2014, the Museum is the top visitor attraction in the UK, and its world-famous collection includes the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures, Egyptian mummies, the Admonitions Scroll, and the Amaravati sculptures.
The Museum is an equal opportunity employer, supports a diverse workplace and offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Membership of the civil service pension scheme
- Free entry to a wide range of museums and exhibitions
- Participate in private and public Museum activities, including talks by leading curators from around the world and behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn how museums care for and manage their extraordinary collections
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Child care voucher scheme
- Professional & personal development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounts on food and gift shop purchases
If you are a positive individual, passionate about the Museum and would like to know more about this exciting opportunity, please visit the website for further information and details on how to apply. https://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/jobs.aspx
Closing date: 10th August 2015, Midday