- This event has passed.
BAAS Postgraduate Conference 2017
November 25, 2017 - November 26, 2017
BAAS Postgraduate Conference
Day 1 (25 Nov 2017): https://tinyurl.com/ycujjxyu (Fee: £10)
- USSO Keynote: Patricia Malone (Queen’s University Belfast) ‘We Hold These Truths to Feel Self Evident: Post-Truth and American Myths, or “The Tyranny of Intimacy”’.
- Parallel Panel Sessions (We’ll publish the full programme for Day 1 soon.)
- Roundtable: Activism, Academia, and American Studies, speakers: Dr Kate Dossett (University of Leeds), Dr Francisca Fuentes (The British Library), Dr Gavin Grindon (University of Essex), Prof Colin Samson (University of Essex).
Day 2 (26 Nov 2017): https://tinyurl.com/yagz9gll (Free) – a CHASE-sponsored workshop day for all postgraduate research students and early career researchers.
- Session 1: Roundtable discussion: ‘Networks, Collaborations, Friendships: Beyond the dread of the buzzword’. Our speakers have kindly agreed to share their wisdom and honest stories about discovering like-minded individuals, creating networks, setting up collaborations, and developing friendships throughout their careers. We hope that the conversations resulted from this roundtable will enable us all to strip the word ‘networking’ of its corporate overtones and to approach the process of forming connections from a more candid and effortless angle.
- Speakers: Dr Denise deCaires Narain (University of Sussex, CHASE DTP Director); Dr Doug Haynes (University of Sussex); Dr Matt Lodder (University of Essex); Dr Kaeten Mistry (University of East Anglia); Dr Rachel Williams (University of Hull).
- Session 2: A ‘speed dating’ type networking event to help participants meet researchers working in similar areas;
- Tea/coffee break;
- Session 3: Open discussion about the obstacles PGRs and ECRs face and possible solutions (such as existing support networks) with invited BAAS and CHASE ECRs who will share their own experiences.
- Closing remarks.
We strongly encourage you to register for both – it will be worth it, we promise! Registration will be open until 10 Nov. Spread the word!
Also can we have an additional separate notice for BAAS PG’s 14 travel grants for those wishing to attend the conference:
We have some fantastic news! We are now offering 14 BAAS-sponsored travel grants of £50 each to help our delegates who do not receive any funding from research consortia (like CHASE) or from their respective departments/other sources. This grant is intended to help you with travel and accommodation, so that you can join us for the full conference.
To be eligible, you have to:
- have registered to attend the conference;
- be a member of BAAS at the time of the conference;
- not receive funding (such as travel expenses reimbursed from your department or funding from consortia like AHRC CHASE) from any other sources.
All we ask you to do is to send us (email@example.com) an estimate of your expenses (e.g. train fare, petrol cost, accommodation) by Friday, 10 November 2017. The grants will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you obtain the travel grant, you will be able to claim the £50 by filling in a form on the day of the conference and by attaching tickets/receipts and accommodation invoices (if applicable) in hard copy. Then our department (Department of Literature, Film, and Theatre Studies at the University of Essex) will reimburse you via BACS (automatic bank transfer).