- This event has passed.
Avant-Gardes Now! (Oxford Brookes University)
May 1, 2015 @ 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Avant-Gardes Now!, Friday 1 May 2015, 1-7pm, Oxford Brookes University
John Henry Brookes Building 204, Gipsy Lane Campus
Hosted by the Oxford Brookes Poetry Centre, and formulated in part as a more specific response to the 2014 BAMS Conference ‘Modernism Now!’, ‘Avant-Gardes Now!’ will address topics which are relevant both to interdisciplinary and international avant-garde studies and creative practice, and also to the UK research and funding environment.
– Professor Adam Piette (University of Sheffield), ‘Breton & Soupault’s Les Champs Magnétiques and the First World War’
– Professor David Cottington (Kingston University), ‘The avant-garde’s alternative professionalism’
– Professor Martin Iddon (University of Leeds), ‘Outsourcing Progress: on conceptual music’
– Dr Julia Jordan (University College London), ‘Accidental Narratives: Remaking the 60s Avant-Garde’
– Dr Sam Ladkin (University of Sheffield), ‘Avant-gardes against value’
– Dr Nikolai Lübecker (St. John’s College, University of Oxford), ‘Into the Dead End: Korine’s Trash Humpers (2009)’
– Dr Claire Warden (University of Lincoln), ‘Can the avant-garde be performed?’
Oxford Brookes respondents:
Professor Nathalie Aubert, Dr Alex Goody, Professor Paul Whitty
Featured poetry reading by Peter Manson, followed by a wine reception.
The Symposium is free to attend, but registration is essential. To register your place, e-mail Dr Eric White (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Thursday 2 April.
Postgraduate students are warmly encouraged to attend. If you live outside the Oxford/London area and wish to be considered for a travel bursary, please include a short (2-3 sentence) description of your Master’s or Doctoral project with your registration e-mail by the deadline.
The Symposium organizers are Dr Eric White and Dr Niall Munro.
For more details on the Symposium, visit: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/poetry-centre/projects/avant-gardes-now!-symposium/