*To be updated with official 2015 date. Currently using an approximate closing date based on 2014 deadline.
Eccles Centre Postgraduate Awards in North American Studies 2015
Five awards to be made to graduate students normally resident in the UK, outside the M25, whose research, in any field of North American Studies, entails the use of the British Library collection. The Eccles Centre Postgraduate Fellows will be entitled to an award of £600 for travel and other expenses connected with the research visit to London.
The British Library website, including public access to the catalogues, can be found at http://www.bl.uk. The Eccles Centre does not house a collection separate to that of the British Library, and the bibliographies on the Eccles Centre webpages give only a snapshot of some of the items in the British Library collection. For details of Eccles Centre activities see http://www.bl.uk/ecclescentre.
Enquiries regarding the British Library’s North American holdings can be directed in the first instance to Dr Matthew Shaw (US curator), Philip Hatfield (Canadian curator), or to the Eccles Centre.
General terms and conditions
- Research visits should take place in the period April 2015 – September 2015.
- All award holders will be required to submit a financial report on their visit, with receipts, to the Treasurer of the British Association for American Studies
- The awards are designed to help defray travel, subsistence and other costs incurred by award holders in undertaking their projects at the British Library. Successful applicants for these Visiting Professorships, Fellowships and Postgraduate Awards should contact the BAAS Treasurer as soon as their plans are finalised (and at least one month before the start of their research visit to the British Library), at which time a portion of the award will be made available. A final reimbursement up to the maximum amount stated for each award will be made by the BAAS Treasurer after the research visit on delivery by the award holder of the required narrative report, and a financial report supported by receipts.
- All award holders will be required to submit a short report on their visit to the British Association for American Studies and to the Eccles Centre that may be published in American Studies in Britain, BACS E-News or in other appropriate outlets.
- All award holders will agree to acknowledge the support provided by the Eccles Centre in any publication resulting from this research visit, and to inform the Eccles Centre of any such publications. If the opportunity arises, it is expected that the award holders will present their work at an appropriate Eccles Centre/British Library seminar or conference.
- No extra funding will be available. Candidates must ensure that they have sufficient funds to cover their own needs and the needs of any dependants during their stay. Award holders from outside the UK are individually responsible for fulfilling any regulatory requirements to enter the UK.
- None of the organisations or individuals connected with this award are in a position to arrange travel or organise accommodation for award holders.
- Applications should be in the form of a brief CV (no more than two pages), and a document explaining the nature of the North American Studies research being proposed at the British Library (no more than two pages).
- Application must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; please indicate the name of the award in the subject line.
- Applications must be submitted by 5pm on February 14th, 2015.
- Applications by fax will not be accepted.